Morning people (also called larks) generally wake up and go to bed early, while night owls wake up late and go to bed well after dark. Sure, we could add a few other categories, but for now, let’s keep it simple.
“Early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise” – Benjamin Franklin
- Morning people are not necessarily healthier, wealthier and wiser, but they may be happier. Perhaps its easier for larks to adhere to a 9-5 schedule or maybe it has to do with the greater exposure to natural light.
- Younger people are more likely to be evening-types than older people.
- Evening-type in men is related to mating success. This means that men who are evening people are more likely to get lucky, but also may be more likely to exhibit infidelity.
- Evening people may be more likely to smoke and drink.
- Evening people were found more likely to be novelty seeking, meaning they explored new things and impulsively made quick decisions.
Whether you’re a morning or an evening person, it probably doesn’t matter too much as long as you’re getting enough sleep.