If you know me well enough, you know that my first apartment in Ottawa was really a Roach Motel. Thus, I have a hatred, disgust and panic-stricken-heart-wrenching loss of appetite at the very site of these creepy crawlers.
Nevertheless, here are some fascinating facts about the life-disrupting monsters:
- They can eat anything. And I mean anything: soap, cardboard, leather and even hair.
- They roamed with the dinosaurs.
- They can squeeze into tiny places. Think the thickness of a dime.
- They can live for 1 week without their heads.
- Females mate only once, but remain fertilized so they can lay eggs at any time – giving rise to up to 400 offspring in her lifetime.
Put all these factors together and you realize how hard it is to exterminate them. I would never wish infestation on anyone.